All positions are currently filled but we will have an opening starting in September 2022. (There may be potential for some hours sooner.) The job description and application instructions are below.
Dairy and Livestock Assistant
This position will encompass various aspects of raising livestock on a pasture-based operation and selling products directly to consumers. Jobs will include caring for cows (fencing, feeding, etc.), milking cows, bottling milk, collecting eggs, animal fencing/rotation, and tractor work, among other farm tasks. Through your work you will learn about the day-to-day workings and management of a for-profit diversified farm. We offer a friendly and organized work environment, as well as the opportunity to interact with the people who are buying the food you are producing. No prior experience is needed; we care more about a candidate's character, responsibility, and passion for the work. This position requires someone who is strong, smart, and observant on top of having monumental physical endurance, excellent communication skills, and a cheerful attitude.
Full-time and part-time hours are available. The start date is flexible. This is a year-round position and a one year commitment is required. Compensation is $17/hour plus free eggs, milk, and yogurt produced on the farm. Employees also get a 20% discount on all other products in the farm store.
To apply, please email email@example.com with your resume and your responses to the following:
1. Tell us a little bit about what attracted you to the position and why it might be a good fit for you. Be honest – if you aren’t specifically interested in farming and you are just looking for a job, that is OK! Knowing a candidate’s background and motivation helps us to find someone who would be happy in the position.
2. This job is very physically rigorous. You will be on your feet for many hours in a row, while constantly lifting, carrying, bending, and squatting. The work occurs outdoors in all forms of weather. Have you ever done anything like this before? If not, do you feel confident you would be able to, and why? Do you have any medical conditions or past injuries that would impede you from performing this kind of work?
3. When are you available to start? How many hours are you looking for? Do you have any regular commitments or any scheduling restrictions?
4. Do you currently live within 20 minutes driving distance from the farm (1359 Old Ford Rd, New Paltz, NY)? If not, would you commute or would you need to move to the area?
5. Do you have your own vehicle? Do you have a cell phone you can use for work?
6. List 3 references and tell us how you know them. We DO call references, so please help us out – provide accurate contact information and make sure they know that you are using them as a reference.
7. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?